Cellectis Reports First Quarter 2015 Financial Results
Published on June 10, 2015
June 9, 2015 – Cellectis (Alternext: ALCLS – Nasdaq Global Market: CLLS), in order to comply with NASDAQ financial practices, is publishing for the first time its 1st quarter results.
Cellectis previously published consolidated financial statements for the first six months of 2014 and for the full year 2014. Cellectis did not have consolidated financial statements for the 1st and 3rd quarters 2014. Therefore, no comparative 2014 figures will be presented for 1st and 3rd quarters in 2015. Cellectis will publish full quarterly comparative figures starting 2016.
Consolidated financial statements have been prepared in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards, or IFRS, as issued by the International Accounting Standards Board (“GAAP”).
First Quarter 2015 Financial Results
● Revenues and Other Income: Total revenues and other income were of €9.2 million for the first quarter 2015 (€26.5 million for FY2014) and mainly comprised €7.9 million of collaboration revenues (€11.9 million for FY2014) and €0.4 million of license revenues (€7.3 million for FY2014).
● Total Operating Expenses and Other Operating Income: Total operating expenses and other operating income for the first quarter of 2015 were of €12.8 million (€31.7 million for FY2014).
● R&D Expenses: Research and development expenses for the first quarter of 2015 were of €5.6 million (€14.4 million for FY2014). These expenses mainly consisted of personnel expenses (€3.5 million), external purchases and other expenses (€2.1 million). Research and development expenses for the first quarter also reflect the impact of social charges related to stock-options and free shares granted during the first quarter (€1.9 million).
● SG&A Expenses: Selling, general and administrative expenses were of €7.2 million for the first quarter 2015 (€13.1 million for FY2014). These expenses mainly related to personnel expenses (€4.9 million), and to external purchases and other expenses (€2.3 million). Selling, general and administrative expenses for the first quarter also reflect the impact of social charges related to stock-options and free shares granted during the first quarter (€3.3 million). For the first three months 2015, the non–recurring IPO expenses amounted to €0.5 million.
● Financial Gain: Financial gain was of €9.9 million for the first quarter 2015 (€7.1 million for FY2014), which is mainly attributable to a favorable Euro-Dollar exchange rate applied to U.S. dollar-denominated cash and cash equivalents during the first quarter of 2015.
● Net Income (Loss): Net income was of €6.3 million, or €0.23 per share, for the first quarter of 2015 (net loss of €1.0 million, or €0.00 per share, for FY2014). Adjusted net income for the first quarter of 2015 was €7.1 million, or €0.23 per share. Adjusted net income for the first quarter of 2015 excludes a non-cash stock-based compensation expense of €0.8 million. Please see "Note Regarding Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures" for a reconciliation of GAAP net income to adjusted net income.
● Cash Position: Cash and cash equivalents include cash, bank accounts, money market funds and fixed bank deposits that meet the definition of a cash equivalent. As of March 31, 2015, Cellectis had €118.4 million in cash and cash equivalents compared to €112.3 million as of December 31, 2014. Our initial public offering closed on March 30, 2015 and as of March 31, 2015, the €196.8 million of net proceeds from the initial public offering are classified under Other Current Assets. We believe that our cash and cash equivalents, together with the net proceeds from our initial public offering and our cash flow from operations (including payments we expect to receive pursuant to our collaboration agreements) and government funding of research programs will be sufficient to fund our operations through at least 2017. However, we may require additional capital for the further development of our existing product candidates and may also need to raise additional funds sooner to pursue other development activities related to additional product candidates.